Transportation F.A.Q.'s (Special Education)
Frequently Asked Questions (Special Needs)
- How can I become a school bus driver?
Go online and complete the application under the employment section at www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us.
Applicants must have a good driving record. A pre-employment physical, drug screening, and criminal background check are performed. GCPS bus drivers are required to undergo a comprehensive paid training program to obtain a commercial driver’s license with endorsements. Contact our recruiting department at 678-225-7670 for any questions.
- How do I find out which bus route my child will be riding?
At the beginning of the school year, the driver will contact the parent/guardian on or before the Thursday prior to school starting. To get information during the school year, please contact the Transportation Supervisor for your area. Contact names and numbers are listed on the Transportation portion of the GCPS website.
- How do I change my Special Needs bus transportation?
Contact your child’s school and have the school complete a new transportation request. Approved requests should be implemented within 10 working days.
- What do I do if my Special Needs child is not going to ride the bus this morning/afternoon?
If it is a short term absence, call Dispatch 770-513-6686
If it is a long term absence, contact the zone supervisor for your area.
Contact names and numbers are listed on the Transportation portion of the GCPS website.
- What if my child is late or does not come home in the afternoon?
Call Transportation Dispatch at 770-513-6686, prompt 3.
- What if I have concerns about my child being bullied or concerns regarding the bus driver?
Please contact the Transportation Supervisor for your child’s school. Contact names and numbers are listed on the Transportation portion of the GCPS website
- What if I want my child to get off at a different stop?
Special Needs does not make temporary changes.
- Can a friend ride the bus with my Special Needs student?
Friends/family are not permitted to ride the Special Needs bus.
Additional information can be found in the Special Needs Ride Guide