Safety and Security
Wayne Rikard, Chief
The Office of Safety & Security consists of 74 P.O.S.T (Police Officer Standards and Training) certified Police Officers and five full-time and four part-time office staff. Safety and Security also oversees the School Crossing Guards program, which consists of 24 employees. The department is responsible for providing a safe and secure learning environment for our students and staff. The officers respond to needs of our students, staff, and community. In addition to enforcing the laws of the State of Georgia, officers teach classes both during the school day to students and to community groups in the evenings. The proactive direction taken by the School Resource Officers is recognized by all local law enforcement agencies and the community. The Gwinnett County School Police Department maintains State of Georgia Law Enforcement Certification, a distinction currently held by only three public school system police agencies in the state.
Safe, Secure, Successful SchoolsGwinnett County Public Schools is committed to ensuring its schools are safe and orderly. The school system takes a very proactive approach to ensuring the safety of students, staff members and campus visitors.
Gwinnett County’s safe schools are the result of…
- Sensible safety measures
- A community committed to safe schools
- An attitude that doesn't tolerate threats to the education of our children
- The expectation that all students will behave so their peers can learn and teachers can teach.
Click here for driving directions, phone, and fax numbers.
- Message from the Superintendent
- School Resource Officers (SRO) Program
- Certification Seal (pdf)
- Spotlight... School Police (pdf)
- Certification GDP Article 2-2010 (pdf)
- Reporting Emergencies
- Student Conduct Behavior Code
- Acceptable Use of Electronic Media
- Student/Parent Handbook for Grades K-5
- Student/Parent Handbook for Grades 6 -12
- Safe Schools Plans/ Required Drills
- Severe Weather
- Emergency Preparation
- Driver's Education Information