On Wednesday, May 1, Nick Saban, head football coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide, and the GCPS Foundation Fund will celebrate the Gwinnett County Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2019! The Class of 2019 has the distinction of being the 10th class of inductees, and includes:
- Coach Mickey Conn, a South Gwinnett HS graduate who coached Grayson HS to a 15-0 season and state championship (2011), and has been part of national championship teams as a Clemson assistant coach (2019) and Alabama player (1992);
- Rennie Curran, all-time leading tackler for the Brookwood HS Broncos, All-SEC and All-American linebacker with the University of Georgia Bulldogs, and third round pick by the Tennessee Titans in the 2010 NFL Draft;
- Coach Angie Hembree, award-winning basketball coach of six state championship teams (2001, 2002, 2005, 2010, 2011, and 2013) at Collins Hill HS and Norcross HS who coached many girls who went on to play in college and professionally;
- David Saville, Norcross HS graduate and team manager for the Blue Devils football program, who also served eight seasons as equipment manager for the Clemson Tigers;
- Coach John Sawyer, multi-sport coach and teacher at South Gwinnett HS for 36 years until his retirement in 2000, with a 600-140 career coaching record with Comets Baseball; and
- Megan Wiggins, three-sport standout (softball, track, and basketball) and four-year athletic letter winner at Shiloh HS, record-holder with UGA Softball, and MVP with the Chicago Bandits professional softball team.
To purchase tickets, sponsor a table, or become an event sponsor, click here. The banquet also will include the 2019 HOF Silent Auction (April 28-May 1), featuring high-end electronics, sports memorabilia, and more.
All proceeds from the auction and the induction event benefit the GCPS Foundation Fund. Just like Coach Saban and the Hall of Fame honorees, you are a game-changer when you support the Foundation. Contributions to the Foundation help support teaching and learning across the district, improve student achievement, fund scholarships for students, provide classroom grants for teachers, foster innovation in programs and initiatives, and develop leaders in our schools.
“We thank our sponsors, honorees, and the hundreds of community members who will attend and support this event,” says Aaron Lupuloff, senior executive director of the GCPS Foundation Fund, noting that tickets and sponsorship opportunities are still available. “When athletics and education come together to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Gwinnett Sports Hall of Fame with Coach Nick Saban, the winners will be the 180,000-plus students of GCPS,” he says.
Questions about the event or how you can help the Foundation provide resources and support to improve the educational future of all students? Call Mr. Lupuloff at 404-405-6471 or send an email to email@example.com.