More than a half dozen films created by Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) students (including some 2018 graduates) will soon be featured at the busiest movie theater in the world. Seven films created by Lanier High students were selected to appear in the 2018 All American High School Film Festival (AAHSFF). An animated film produced by a Brookwood High School student also will be featured. The films will be shown at the AMC Theater 25 in New York City’s Times Square.
Keith Phillips, the lead teacher of Lanier High’s film program is thankful for the support the school district provides its talented students. He says, “I'm extremely proud of the students. To be where we are in our short history as a program is a testament to the quality of work the students have created. I have all the resources and support a teacher could want. The students don’t know how fortunate they are to have an administration that supports their creations and a district that gives them the professional tools to begin developing skills they can use after they graduate.”
The AAHSFF bills itself as the world’s largest high school film festival and the premier destination for talented high school filmmakers and media arts enthusiasts from around the world. The festival and location offers a grand stage for the next generation of talented filmmakers where they can: screen their amazing creations, learn from top industry professionals, connect with the latest technology, explore myriad higher education opportunities, receive scholarships and technology prizes, and create a community of shared passions and lifelong relationships.
Winners will be announced on October 7, in New York City. Official selections for this year’s competition, along with their category and student producers, include:
- Home Opener (Action Sports) — Ian Islam, Thomas Harmond, and Melanie Zburlea of Lanier HS
- Homecoming Promo (Action Sports) — Melanie Zburlea, Thomas Harmond, and Ian Islam of Lanier HS
- We Are Lanier: LSLT (Documentary) — Barry Chen, Bruce Garcia, and Chris Reyes of Lanier HS
- Providence High (Drama) — Jordan Powell, Sara Samuels, Lauraina Horack, Faith Laws, and Nichole Stringer of Lanier HS
- Signing Day 2018 Promo (PSA) — Andy Cole, Thomas Harmond, Valyn Turner of Lanier HS
- Atlanta International Night Market (PSA) — Barry Chen of Lanier HS
- LANIER (PSA) — Thomas Harmond and Andy Cole of Lanier HS
- Countdown (Animation) — Sebastian Soler of Brookwood HS