Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) students will return from their summer break for the first day of classes on Monday, August 5.
Back-to-school activities planned for students
Gwinnett back-to-school activities will be held in the week and days prior to August 5. Parents should check school websites for the dates and times of these planned activities. These activities are a great way to prepare for the school year as students can meet teachers, pick up schedules and locker assignments, learn about bus routes, pay for school lunches, and learn about clubs and other opportunities. In addition, parents, have the opportunity to join the PTA and to learn more about their child’s school.
Registration for new Gwinnett students continues
New students registering at a Gwinnett County school for the first time should contact their local schools for details regarding registration as well as any testing that may be needed for placement. New student registration continues in July with all Gwinnett schools providing opportunities on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Parents and guardian may check with the local school for information about additional registration opportunities. Parents unsure which school their child will attend should use “School Look-up” (http://bit.ly/GCPSSchoolLocator).
Documents needed for registration:
- An official document showing proof of birth date. Examples include an original birth certificate or birth registration, an official state or federal form with date of birth, or passport. For a fee, parents can order a birth certificate for a child born in Georgia through the state’s ROVER service. http://gta.georgia.gov/rover
- Proof that you live in the attendance zone. The school requires proof that you live in the attendance zone. You must present a current utility bill (no telephone bills) with one of the following documents: a non-contingent sales contract, current lease/rental agreement, most recent income tax return, current paycheck stub, current residential property tax statement or bill, current warranty or quitclaim deed, current home purchase agreement, or current homeowner’s insurance policy. This document must include the same address as the accompanying utility bill. An exception: A deed without an address is acceptable if accompanied by two utility bills (no telephone bills) with same address in the attendance zone. A contingency contract is not acceptable. If you live with a friend or family member and need information about verifying your residency, call your local school. If you do not speak English fluently, please call with the help of a bilingual friend or relative, in case an interpreter is not available.
- Evidence of Vision, Hearing, Dental, and Nutrition Screening obtained in the past year. This information should be on a current Georgia Form #3300 (rev. 2013), available from the health department or your physician and dentist and dated within the last 12 months. Letters from appropriate healthcare professionals and out-of-state certificates are acceptable, if completed within the last 12 months and stapled to the state form. International certificates are not acceptable.
- Proof of custody/guardianship. Proof of Guardianship is required for registration if the enrolling adult is not the birth parent. The following persons are authorized to enroll students:
- Parent (natural or adoptive)
- Legal guardian
- Grandparent with a properly executed power of attorney for care of a minor
- Kinship caregiver with a properly executed Kinship Caregiver Affidavit
- Foster parent appointed by a state agency
- Sponsor for approved International Exchange Program
- A photo ID. The person enrolling a student should present proper identification. This identification may include a driver’s license, a state identification card, a passport, or other official photo identification, such as an ID card obtained through an official government agency or consulate.
- A Georgia certificate of immunization. By state law, a valid certificate of immunization (Form #3231) or a notarized Affidavit of Religious Exemption, (Form #2208), is required for enrollment. The certificate of immunization must be completed by the health department or your private physician. A valid Form #3231 must be marked with either “Date of Expiration” or as “Complete for School Attendance.” (A certificate marked with a “Date of Expiration” expires on the date indicated. A current certificate must be submitted within 30 days of expiration.) A medical exemption, if applicable, should be noted on Form #3231 with a current date of expiration.
- Your student's social security number. State law requires that schools ask for this number at the time of enrollment. Students will be enrolled, even if the number is not provided. However, parents will be asked to sign a waiver.
For more on registration, visit www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us