Strategic Waivers School Systems (SWSS/IE2) Strategic Plan
When House Bill 502 went into effect on July 1, 2015, districts that chose the IE2 flexibility option are henceforth known as Strategic Waivers School Systems (SWSS/IE2).
A SWSS/IE2 System is a local school district that operates under the terms of an SWSS/IE2 contract between the State Board of Education and the local Board of Education. The system receives flexibility in the form of waivers of certain state laws, rules and guidelines in exchange for greater accountability for increased student performance.
SWSS/IE2 contracts are intended to provide local school districts with the flexibility they need to increase student achievement. This district flexibility option was created by House Bill 1209, which provided for "Increased Flexibility for Local School Systems" when it was passed in 2008. Originally, school districts that choose this option were known as IE2, or Investing in Educational Excellence Systems. Now they are known as Strategic Waivers School Systems (SWSS/IE2).
The Gwinnett County Board of Education entered into its second IE2 Partnership Contract with the State Department of Education in October, 2014. IE2 Partnership Contracts are intended to provide local school districts greater governance flexibility as a means to increase student achievement. This contract is based on a strategic plan that we developed in partnership with the Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) and the Governor's Office of Student Achievement (GOSA). The new IE2 Partnership Contract will begin July, 2015 and run through June, 2022. The years of this partnership will provide a model of collaboration, innovation, and improved academic success for all students.
New IE2 Partnership Contract (July, 2015 -- June, 2022)
- New IE2 Partnership Contract (October 2014)
- Exhibit A - GCPS IE2 Partnership Contract Strategic Plan (October 2014)
- Exhibit B - Flexibility Component of Contract
- Exhibit C - Accountability Component of Contract
- Exhibit D - Consequences Component of Contract
- Exhibit E - IE2 Elementary School Plans*
- Exhibit F - IE2 Middle School Plans*
- Exhibit G - IE2 High School Plans*
- GCPS to hold public hearing for a new IE2 Partnership Contract on August 21, 2014
*Please note: These exhibits are templates that will be further developed as data is collected. Additional IE2 information is available on the following websites:
SWSS / IE2 Contract Amendments
IE2 Historical Information (January, 2009 -- June, 2015)
Gwinnett County Public Schools' first IE2 Partnership Contract with the State Department of Education began in January, 2009 with an ending date of June, 2015. The first IE2 Partnership Contract, including the strategic plan and all school plans, is posted below along with historical information regarding this partnership.
IE2 Background and Planning
- Destination Higher Achievement Making Connections How the Boards Theory of Action RBES and IE2 Partnership Contract Support Higher Student Achievement
- CEO/Superintendent J. Alvin Wilbanks talks about the Gwinnett IE2 partnership contract
- CEO/Superintendent's comments at IE2 public hearing
- IE2 Partnership Contract: General Timeline (PDF)
- General Questions and Answers on the GCPS IE2 Partnership Contract
- IE2 Presentation to the State Board of Education
IE2 Contract Amendments
IE2 Partnership Contract and All School Plans
- IE2 Partnership Contract: Strategic Plan and all School Plans Note: To review a specific school's plan within the document, open the PDF and click on the "Bookmarks" tab on the left side of the page. A list of schools will appear and you may select the specific plan you wish to review.
- Plans for elementary and middle schools opened since the original contract - Amendment #2
- High school plans reflecting Amendment #2 changes