Gwinnett County Public Schools released SAT scores for the Class of 2019 showing that Gwinnett test-takers continue the trend of outperforming their peers in Georgia and the nation. Gwinnett’s average on the SAT topped state and national averages on both sections (Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing and Math) of the test. Gwinnett’s average score of 1094 was 55 points higher than the national average and 46 points higher than the state’s score of 1048. The district’s average on the SAT did decrease slightly, mirroring decreases at the state and national levels.
Gwinnett SAT Highlights
- Gwinnett’s average composite score on the SAT is 1094, a combination of the average Evidenced-Based Reading and Writing score of 549 and the average Mathematics score of 545. (Possible scores range from 200 to 800 on each section. The highest possible composite score is 1600.)
- Gwinnett’s SAT average is 55 points above the national average.
- Gwinnett’s average is 46 points above the Georgia average of 1048.
- In Gwinnett, 8,977 students participated in this past year’s test, a slight increase over the number of test-takers in 2018.
- SAT scores at seven GCPS high schools— Collins Hill; Gwinnett Online Campus; Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology; North Gwinnett; Peachtree Ridge; Shiloh; and South Gwinnett— increased.
- GSMST’s score of 1375 came in at #1, topping SAT scores in the state. Seven other Gwinnett schools ranked in the top 50—North Gwinnett, #12; Gwinnett Online Campus, #26; Brookwood, #31; Peachtree Ridge, #35; Mill Creek, #37; Collins Hill, #45; and Parkview, #49.
- Brookwood, Mill Creek, and North Gwinnett high schools had the most test-takers in the state with 739, 675, and 634.
Individual school results and system results are found on the next page. Individual school averages can be greatly affected by the unique characteristics of each year’s test takers. Students can improve their SAT scores by doing well in rigorous courses, reading challenging books and articles, and writing concise essays that include compelling details to support a persuasive argument.